This workshop provides the basics of drainage and selecting, sizing, and installing culvert replacements. Items covered will include designs for fish passage, channel grade stabilization, streambank stabilization, and applying for a Corps permit. The objective is to enable participants to plan a good culvert replacement project that enhances roadway safety that is also good for the environment.
This workshop is designed for individuals who have responsibility for planning, design, and permitting of crossroad culvert replacement projects along rural roads and city streets. This includes county and city engineers, road supervisors, foremen, technicians, and township officials who have drainage responsibilities. Elected officials are also welcome to attend.
An elective Roads Scholar Level II course.
- Difference between a culvert and a bridge
- Drainage law
- Culvert types and materials
- Tort Liability and what makes a good project.
- When you need an engineer for culvert replacements.
- Road engineering factors affecting culvert sizing.
- Environmental factors affecting culvert sizing.
- Fish passage and channel stabilization at culvert outfalls.
- Environmental Permits and when you need them.
- Environmental Issues and how to stay out of trouble.
Instructor: Norm Bowers
Schedule an on-demand class by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
We request that you cancel at least a week before a scheduled class. If someone from your agency can not attend a scheduled class, a replacement from your agency may attend in their place, as long as email@example.com is notified of the change.
If you have to cancel enrollment in a class, we offer a refund to your account depending on the cancellation date. Please see below for more details.
100% refund if you cancel 7 or more days before a class
50% refund if you cancel 3-6 days before a class
No refund if you cancel 0-2 days before a class
Absences due to extenuating circumstances will be handled on a case by case basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Select A Session
Sorry, there are no sessions currently available for this course at this time.