Culverts and Drainage
Date: 4/13/2023 9:00 AM - 4/13/2023 4:00 PM
Location: Garden City - 101 W. Maple St.
101 W. Maple St.
Garden City, Kansas
This workshop includes the basics of drainage and selecting, sizing, and installing culverts. Items covered will include drainage law in Kansas as it relates to backwater and changing the natural drainage pattern, factors that affect the amount of runoff and the sizing of culverts, and using common sense in culvert sizing.
Information will be provided on the types of culvert products available, including the pros and cons of the various products, and proper installation techniques. Common causes of culvert failures will be discussed as well as culvert rehabilitation and lining. Work around streams is regulated by environmental agencies so environmental issues and permitting will also be discussed.
This workshop is designed for maintenance crews, foremen, and supervisors who provide and maintain smaller drainage facilities along rural roads and city streets. This includes county and city engineers and road supervisors, technicians and road crew members, township trustees, and State staff who have drainage responsibilities. Elected officials are also welcome to attend.
A required Roads Scholar Level I course.
- Provide maintenance personnel the information needed to inspect or maintain culverts and drainage systems efficiently and effectively
- Introduce Kansas drainage law
- Identify drainage areas and other factors affecting runoff
- Understand how road factors are related to culvert sizing
- Understand how environmental factors are related to culvert sizing
- Identify when to replace culverts and when engineering study and guidance is needed
- Identify culvert types and materials
- Identify what makes a good culvert project
- Understand best practices of culvert installation, bedding, and backfill
- Identify the need for trench safety and the rules governing trench and excavation safety
- Identify causes of culvert failures
- Examine when culvert rehabilitation and lining make sense
- Introduce environmental issues and the need for permits
Instructor: Keith Browning
Schedule an on-demand class by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
We request that you cancel at least a week before a scheduled class. If someone from your agency can not attend a scheduled class, a replacement from your agency may attend in their place, as long as email@example.com is notified of the change.
If you have to cancel enrollment in a class, we offer a refund to your account depending on the cancellation date. Please see below for more details.
100% refund if you cancel 7 or more days before a class
50% refund if you cancel 3-6 days before a class
No refund if you cancel 0-2 days before a class
Absences due to extenuating circumstances will be handled on a case by case basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
|Public Fee (Public): $80.00||Register